Sunday 12 June 2011

O'Brien Pale Ale




When spotting this in the fridge I figured it was just another local micro brewery pale ale. When I got to the counter, the bloke said, "Hmmm, trying the gluten free are you?"

In the ensuing conversation I discovered that this is in fact a gluten free ale. The bottle'o man's review went something like "Yeah...mmm...well...you kinda need wheat and barley to make beer". So expectations were now low, but when you have
to drink this many beers, beggars can't be choosers.

First off I will say, it's certainly drinkable. It's a strong, deep, pale ale with some tones that you'd normally
expect from a darker ale to be honest. It has that deep malty/almost chocolatey streak through it. Where it goes a bit
astray is in the aftertaste. It's hard to explain, because I don't know what they've used to substitute the normal
ingredients.

It does lose some lustre here, the aftertaste is a bit off. It's not a bad beer though, they've done a good job given the restrictions. If you can't ingest gluten, then here is a decent beer. Otherwise, there's no real reason to go near it I suppose.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment