Sunday 13 November 2011

Grimbergen Dubbel Double




For my first beer after defeating a stomach virus, I really wanted something fleet of foot as the guts were still a bit fragile. After banishing a sink full of dishes, I turned to the fridge in eagerness to see what I could muster to quench my longing thirst for a beer. It's been almost a week, which I find personally offensive.

To my dismay...everything in there was either a dark ale or some Trappist looking rocket launcher. I was just going to have to dive in to the shallow end and hope I didn't hit my head. I know nothing at all about this beer, but a 6.8% Dubbel is probably going to be about as nimble as a Japanese Yokozuna running an agility test, wearing Dutch clogs.

Scratch that... this beer is more like a Japanese Yokozuna running through a field of berries waving a Katana. You garner a split second of sweet malts before both sweet and sour red berry flavours carve through your tastebuds. The feel of the beer is pretty watery for a Dubbel. The warm sweet finish is even remiscent of something like Sherry or Port.

This is something different for sure, and really not at all what I wanted but I won't let that get in the way. It is a well made beer(perhaps with a slightly too slender body), but it zips a few circles away from my bulls eye. Belgian beer heads and Trappist fans will get a bit of a kick out of it, if that is your thing.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment