Sunday 20 November 2011

Leffe Radieuse




As I get closer to the end of this challenge, I'm going to have to dip in to some more expensive beers as they are becoming increasingly harder to find. The upside to this is that a lot of these wallet lighteners will end up being Belgian/Trappist ales such as this 'Redieuse' from Leffe. I'm not gonna lie though, I have no idea what Radieuse means.

The beer pours an amazing deep brown/plum like colour with a huge foaming head that climbs vertically out of the liquid, bursting to the surface. It is really a sight to behold. There is a distinct whiff of alcohol as I neared the glass to my nose, indicating the 8.2% volume may not be so well hidden. The Belgians are normally masters of deception, so this was somewhat of a surprise.

The first taste I notice is sweet malts, followed by a tart fruityness that I can only compare to plums or figs. Some sort of dark fruit anyway. There is a thin layer of toffee in there as well, before a very clean finish. There is barely even a hint of alcohol, almost as if it was absorbed into the vacuum of my nose before the liquid reached my mouth. The gaping divide between the nose and the taste is about as wide as Derek Kickett.

It is an amazingly well brewed beer. There are some rich flavours in here that all just sit subtly next to each other without competing. Imagine trying to keep the peace outside the interview room for the next season of MTV's 16 and Pregnant. That's a tall order. Great beer, similar quality to the Duvel, but I like this just a little bit more.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment