Wednesday 30 November 2011

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout




An oatmeal stout is a beer I know very little about. Stouts and Porters are somewhat new to me still, so the only assumption I've made is that it is a stout... made with oatmeal. Cole Phelps up in here. Dark beers aren't really my bag, I'm warming up to them slowly but often the prevalent coffee element loses me.

This beer pours a deathly jet black and leaves the bottle looking like BP's contribution to marine environment. This is going to be some heavy shit. This is a powerful beer. It tastes like someone filled a vat with blocks of chocolate, oatmeal, malt and coffee beans and took a flamethrower to it. Dark, roasted flavours across the board. The taste is huge, and even a small sip gives you a world to dissect.

I can see the appeal, I really can, but I'm just not there yet. Drinking one of these is like sitting down to a meal, I feel like I've just had a roast dinner. I doubt I will ever reach for one of these beers over a really good pale ale but they are an interesting experience nonetheless.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment