Saturday 3 December 2011

Brooklyn Brown Ale




I've had two beers from these blokes to date, and I have to say that they have both been sturdy and reliable. Like a modern day Volvo. I say modern day, because there's a little bit of punch in there. Their Lager was unique and their IPA swung for the rafters. This was the last beer in my fridge before I had to re-stock the shelves, and by chance today while Christmas shopping I bought a chocolate crepe. This contained enough chocolate to last me a month, and now I have to drink a Brown Ale. I'll try my best to not let this damage the experience.

Boom! Chocolate. The beer pours a chocolatey brown and has a familiar mocha aroma. The flavours are, as you would expect, chocolate and coffee with some malt and nuts. It's fairly stock standard for a brown ale, and perhaps a smidgen less creative than their other beers. BB's beers tend to be a bit light on the body, which was fine for the lager and mildly disappointing for the IPA but it's a blessing for the Brown Ale. The deep, rich flavours need to be balanced out and this comes in the form of a refreshing body.

I have to admit this was deeper than I expected. It's almost like watching Katy Perry discuss string theory. This is probably the most complex of Brooklyn's beers. The IPA was aggressively hopped but there wasn't a hell of a lot else going on. For someone who doesn't really eat a lot of chocolate, I now need to go and have a lie down...

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment