Saturday 24 December 2011

Moa Pale Ale



Why the hell have I never heard of these guys before now? Moa is officially one of the best Kiwi brewers I've ever come across. Monteith and Macs have been the most talked about in my experience. Moa is right up there. I'm not even going to pad out the suspense till the end, I'm just gonna say straight off the bat that this is a fantastic American style Pale Ale.

It pours a browny/orange colour, with swirling clouds and snarling carbonation as it leaves the bottle. I remember the lager was similar, tamer, but similar. I don't know if the Ruination really did ruin my taste buds, like yesterday's Red Ale, this APA is noticeably bitter due to the immense presence of hops. All I can taste initially is hops. Sweet roasted malts sneak through with a hint of caramel, but it's all just some wrapping paper around the box of hops.

Hugely refreshing, perfectly carbonated, smooth and bitter. Really enjoyed this. The beer is smooth but aggressive at the same time in a daringly unique way. It's like Nate Dogg...if he gotten bitten by a rabid raccoon during a 3 day speed bender. I recommend this to anyone who likes Pale Ales. I will just finish with one thing though... they could probably do without the deceptively large and heavy bottle. It looks huge...it's just a 375. The glass is just thicker than Kirsty Alley's left thigh. The beer is pricey enough already without this not so necessary encasing.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment