Sunday 11 December 2011

St Ambroise Pale Ale




Today I'm feeling very sleep deprived and hung over after a big night out, but like they say there is nothing like the hair of the dog. On the menu is a Pale Ale from St Ambroise. This is actually a Canadian brewery, a fact I hadn't noticed when I tried their oatmeal stout. I've only really had beers from the mainstream Canuck brewhouses, I was really impressed with the Yank micros so it would be great to try some Canadians. I really don't know how big this Quebec-based maker is, but I don't remember seeing it when I lived in Canada. The Pale pours an amber/copper colour without a significant head. The flavours are fairly simple, but very effective.

Crisp malt and hops dominate, and the beer boasts a slightly oily but very pleasant feel. At first the most I really thought was 'not bad', but with each sip I grew more and more impressed. Sometimes like a new album from your favourite band, it takes some time to connect like you have in the past. Nuts and grains start to eminate, and the overall flavour starts to really take shape. It's a malt and hop driven beer, with a good supporting cast, and that's generally a good recipe.

It's a moderate Pale Ale, not too light but not too heavy. Considering I was a bit fragile, this beer was extremely easy to drink. Like a sex offender's front door, there aren't a lot of knocks on it. It achieves everything it sets out to achieve, without swinging for the fence and striking out in the process.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment