Thursday 29 December 2011

Peroni Gran Riserva




Peroni is one of my favourite Euro Lagers. That doesn't really say a hell of a lot though, because the euro pale lager/pilsner market for the most part is about as exciting as watching paint dry on Gordon Brown's face while he conducts a speech on economic policy. This 'Gran Riserva' is, I'm assuming, an attempt at marketing a 'Premium' batch. I can't say I'm expecting much more than a slightly bulkier version of their normal fare.

Not exactly on point there. It pours a darker yellow than I expected, and looks weightier than a run of the mill fizzy Euro lager. Have you ever had that sweet sticky malt honey? We randomly had one of those old school milkshake makers from the 50s when I was a kid, and used to keep some malt honey around to make malted chocolate milkshakes. That's the best comparison I can make with this beer. It's almost sickly sweet, and tastes like being beaten to a pulp with a malt stick. Hops arrive fashionably late to the party, but by this point it's almost insignificant.

Much like a goat with the head of a duck, this is a strange beast. It certainly has more depth than a Peroni... but is the depth necessary? Peroni's are very refreshing and easy to knock back, but that aside have the personality of Lara Bingle. This beer has far more to talk about... but are the topics really that interesting? It's a bit of a weirdo. I'll let you decide on your own.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment