Monday 2 January 2012

Whistler Brewing Co Export Lager




You may have noticed I've had a brief break over New Years. This wasn't really due to me not drinking, quite the opposite, but due to circumstances I didn't really have the time to sit down and write about every beer I consumed. I'm a fair way ahead of the game anyway, so don't need to play catch up. The first beer back after resuming stumps is a lager from the Whistler Brewing Co in Vancouver. I sampled some of their beers a long time ago when I was over there, and they had a 'Winter Ale' which was pretty solid. I can't say I remember the lager however.

This doesn't look great in the bottle I have to put out there. A very transparent yellow liquid sitting in a clear bottle...it really appears at first glance as just another fizzy yellow lager. And that's pretty much how it pours in the glass, and how it tastes as well. The feel of the beer is flimsy, but strangely enough the carbonation is also very light.

These are two attributes rarely seen together in a lager, and probably for good reason. Lagers don't have depth of flavour to carry deficiencies in body. Everything in this beer is weak. I feel like a gust of wind could kick past and it would blow away in to the distance, much like Kate Moss standing behind a backfiring Mustang.

As much as I love Vancouver, and Whistler, this is a shit beer. I'm not going to sugar coat it. When micro breweries are pumping out some lagers with solid flavours and bodies while still remaining crisp and refreshing... I can't give any credit to this impostor. After a day of carving up powder, I'd honestly rather sit down with a Draught than one of these.


2.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment