Friday 13 January 2012

Perla Chmielowa




Here we have a 'premium' 6% Pilsner from Poland. I have to be honest, when I saw this sitting in the fridge I assumed it to be another Italian lager due to the red, green, and white flag and the name 'Perla'. While this could very easily go either way, I was slightly more upbeat knowing it was a hefty Polish beer. Will the Perla be a pearler after all?

The Pilsner pours a slightly bronzed golden yellow. Like an authentic Filipino Rolex. The taste is very familiar... slightly sweet and bready, with a pretty clean finish. The mild sweetness in tune with the bitter hops almost has a green apple like effect. Really at the end of the day it's a Euro Pilsner, with just a touch more weight behind it. The elevated alcohol is unnoticeable.

At the end of the day, this is no velociraptor riding a shark through a burning hoop. It's a fairly boring beer, but when you compare it with the general Euro lager market it does present itself as an appealing option. It does seem like a 'food beer'. I feel like I should drinking this with some sort of spicy meat product...like a Hungarian snag or something. Instead I'm drinking it before heading out to see Immortal Technique, one of the most inspiring lyricists of this generation... and somehow it didn't really fit the bill.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment