Saturday 14 January 2012

Moa Methode




Moa's Original Lager and Pale Ale were both delectably drinkable beers, and while not quite reaching the upper stratospheres, they did entrench themselves as one of the most respectable brewers across the Tasman Sea. What was most impressive was the ability to develop a 'feel' to their beers which was unique to Moa. Spicy, full bodied, refreshing. The strangely titled 'Methode', is a Pilsner.

Things were looking up from the moment it hit the glass. Pale golden yellow, with an almost creamy looking cloudiness to the body, and a huge frothing head. The taste is absolutely massive for a Pilsner. It tastes like cereal grains, with a hefty spiced kick. The feel is solid, like the other Moa's, and the carbonation significantly subdued for a Pils. The aftertaste is highly hopped, and leaves a strong bitter finish. This is a fantastic Pilsner. I could sit out in the sun drinking these without a care in the world, until I passed out in a heap and had to be rolled in to the shade to protect my ghostly skin. 200 years of evolution in this country has done my bloodline nothing.

Maybe it's in the genetics... or maybe we really do know our beers, but I have an affinity with both Aussie and Kiwi micro brewers. I feel as though I am being unbiased, I genuinely believe we brew some of the best beers in the world over here. It's a damn shame that there are plenty of dickheads who only believe something is of quality when it's 'imported'. Most of the imported Pilsners I've drunk taste like horse piss. This scrapes in as a world class beer, and given that I rarely swoon over this style of beer, it's an achievement well earned.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment