Tuesday 10 January 2012

Moritz Epidor




What a mindfuck this beer is. It presents itself as just another big Euro lager, and let's be honest the Spaniards don't really do beer any better than the rest of Europe. I really held no high hopes at all for this drop, but considering I was slapping a ton of meat on the barby I was happy to have something basic as a companion to wash it all down.

Things took a turn however when I poured the beer into a glass. It surprisingly appeared more of an amber colour, with a nice sizable head... this I did not expect! All of a sudden my interest peaked. Maybe this wasn't going to be just another one out of the box. I hurriedly took a swill... and calamitously everything came crashing back down to Earth. This shit is like paint stripper. The solvent-like alcohol burn is ridiculous, but this did prompt me to scan the label and discover that this is in fact a 7.2% lager. Earning a slight reprieve, but still, unacceptable. The flavours are sickeningly sweet, buoyed by fruits and malts. It's almost like a feigned attempt at a Belgian ale... except it's a Spanish lager.

If you back off and sip it slowly and work your way around the beer as a whole, it does become more palatable. I do still sit here asking myself why I'm drinking this beer. Had it not been for this challenge then I probably wouldn't. I guess that's the beauty and the beast of this whole process.

3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment