Tuesday 24 January 2012

Stone Brewing Co Arrogant Bastard Ale


3...

Without wanting to appear lazy, I am just going to take a section of the blurb on this bottle and post it here because it is pure gold.

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

I love it. Without wanting to sound like an arrogant bastard myself, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm no ivory tower dweller though, I'm well aware that I used to be one of those uneducated drones. I still shudder and grimace when I overhear someone talk about how 'amazing' Stella Artois is, or how James Boags is their 'favourite beer'. Not to tactically discredit either, but it's no different than swirling your wine glass around and proclaiming how voluptuous the tannins are in the 2012 Sunnyvale goon bag.

To the beer though, Arrogant Bastard Ale is no Mundine. It backs up it's mouth, and then some. The pour is a unique looking reddish/brown, perhaps due to the oak wood chip aging process. The feel of the beer is warm and deep. The malts are sweet and are underpinned by caramel, with some piney bitterness bursting through and lingering around well after the party has finished. It's a very strong, complex beer and the write up from the brewers is bang on. I would've hated this 2-3 years ago, but right now... I'm loving it.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment