Sunday 22 January 2012

Hix Pale Ale


5...

After a mission down the street in hotter than expected weather, I staggered back in to the house mumbling "Beer...beer...BEER". Sitting inside of the door of the fridge was a wine bottle sized Pale Ale, screaming out to me like a wounded Banshee. I'd never heard of 'Hix' but according to the bottle they hail from Dromana in Victoria, the home of possibly the most famous seat in all the state. From memory this was a very reasonably priced beer for such a large serving... so while expectations weren't high, in my current dehydrated state I felt like I was still having a punt in the company of Hansie Cronje and Don King. In other words, the odds were on my side.

The ale poured a deep orange with a full creamy head, but still maintained transparency, not unlike a Little Creatures pale ale. Fucking beautiful. So far it was cheap, huge, and looked the goods. I have to admit at first I absolutely smashed it down because I was stinging for a drink of anything, and it tasted like the unquestionable nectar of the gods. Once sufficiently quenched, it was time to slow down and attempt to dissect with more precision. Like a surgeon, or in my case a year 8 science student. The feel is quite light at first but comes through a little harder midway. There is a swirling amalgamated tornado of flavours that vary from caramel through to orangey citrus, with a huge body of hops all the way through from start to finish.

It is perilously easy to drink, and the entire 500mls was gone in a flash. It feels complicated, but unrefined at the same time, yet still very palatable. The fact that I was dying of thirst may well have influenced this experience, but I can only call it as I see it. This is a great American style Pale Ale, at a reasonable price, in a large serving. Tick, tick, tick. Won't take the world by storm, but doesn't need to. I reckon I would grab this again.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment