Monday 2 January 2012

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA




Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA was a resounding winner in my eyes, and loftily sits amongst the best IPA's I've had on this challenge. This right here is the older sibling, the 9% 90 Minute IPA. As well as being a weight class or two above, it's also a social class higher. I still have three payments left to make on this beer, as it was over $9... in keeping with the theme I guess. The expectations are already sky high, as I almost didn't buy it because of the cost.

The beer looks beautiful in the glass. A clear, but thick bodied, deep orange with a short lived creamy head. I could already tell that I was in for a treat, as I prepared myself for the inevitable hurricane of hops that was about to relentlessly batter my mouth. A really good IPA is so simple, but so mind-bogglingly complex all at once. Really what we have here is a literal landslide of hops and malt, but the balance and execution is world class. The hops come on sharp, yet despite the heavy presence of malt it still seems subdued in comparison. Everything here is so slick, it's as if the beer was brewed with Elvis Presley's sweat.

Fantastic beer. Definitely not a session ale, the alcohol has been extremely well hidden but at 9% there's only so much that can be done. It is delicious, but is really best enjoyed slowly and appreciated, rather than smashed down in a hurry. On a 40 degree day, with the fan on and some homemade chicken tacos, this was a worthwhile experience and a justified price of admission. Just.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment