Thursday 15 December 2011

Lobethal Bierhaus Christmas Ale




I don't know if it's just me, but Jelly Belly jellybeans have always amazed the shit out of me. How they manage to pack an almost pitch perfect recognisable flavour in to a singular jelly bean is a question that will plague mankind for generations. Some are bewildered by advancing microchip technology... while I stare down at at a small coloured bean. Next level flavour sensation. The reason I bring this up, is that Lobethal have walked a similar path with this 'Christmas Ale'.

The beer pours a rich dark brown colour, almost black from some angles. It kind of looks like a Christmas pudding. The head is small, and there is a big aroma wafting from the surface. The taste is of Christmas cake. Dark malts and spiced fruits. I'm going to readily admit that I don't even like Christmas cake. At all. But I am amazed at the transition that has taken place with this beer. It is tastier than any Christmas cake I've ever eaten in my life.

This beer is like Avatar. It's about the spectacle. Slack jawed and amazed at what has been achieved... but also acknowledging in the aftermath that you've been somewhat duped in the process. Do you really want a beer that tastes like Christmas cake? Does Pocahontas really need to be in 3D with blue skinned Rastafarian Aliens? I have been successfully distracted by something shiny. The novelty value is worth the price of admission alone I guess.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment