Sunday 30 October 2011

Bright's Hellfire Amber Ale




The aggressive title of this beer rose from a combination of it's appearance, and a place called 'Hellfire Gully' near Bright. While I can't attest to being familiar with the gully, I will say this beer does pour an impressive colour. Burning a blaze of orange and red, the hue seeming to darken from bottom to top. Fantastic looking beer, it's like pouring a glass of napalm.

The body is weighty, but still effortlessly refreshing. The flavours are predominantly malt and caramel, with very light carbonation, that simply aims to kick your tongue to life rather than mercilessly electrocute it. If that place on the Pure Blonde ad is meant to be heaven, then book me a first class ticket to the land of fire and brimstone.

Perhaps not straying as far from the path as their lager, this is another impressive drop from Bright Brewers. I personally prefer this, but I am partial to Amber Ales over Lagers in a general sense. If I was to have another one, I'd pick the Amber, but the lager sits astonishingly close to it's coat tails.

A really good ale is one of those beer experiences. After finishing the Hellfire, there were still embers of flavour smouldering on my tongue. A lingering memory of this great beer. This is one fire that should never be put out.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment