Friday 14 October 2011

Desperados




I was making some homemade fish tacos for dinner, and figured why not pair this number up with it. It is well documented that Mexican beers are far from exciting so I was only expecting to add another watery lime-needing cerveza to the list, but upon closer inspection of the bottle... things may not be as boring as I first presumed.

This beer is brewed with tequila! This definitely spiced things up a bit as I don't mind a tequila, even though I rarely get into it. The alcohol volume sits at 5.9% due to this. It also isn't even Mexican, it's French! Strange.

From the first sip I was thrown back. The beer is very sweet and citric, with a mild tequila burst that lingers on the aftertaste with the citrus. This was too much for my brain to compute. There was definite wow factor.

I kinda liked it. There was more going on than a normal Mexican style beer and the tequila element was interesting. The problem was, as it went on it didn't hold itself together. It's overly sweet. By a country mile and a half. It's almost like an alcoholic soft drink. After a while everything just started feeling tacky, and fake. What started off amusing soon became something I didn't want to experience again.

This desperado is similar to Antonio Banderas' desperado. Explosive, tacky, over the top... but a bit of fun. And you have to treat it similarly and approach it for what it is. It's a novelty act. If you take it seriously, well you simply wont get it.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment