Friday 21 October 2011

James Squire Porter




Despite my general appreciation for Jimmy Squire's bevy of brews, I've never actually tried their Porter. I wasn't exactly in the mood for it either to be honest, but it was between this and some random European Pilsner sitting in the fridge...so it was a fairly easy decision at the end of the day.

The beer pours darker than Kamal. Seriously, this Porter would make a Coca Cola look like an albino. It also has a heady aroma that jabs you on the nose as you raise it to your lips. It's not particularly nice either, but I'm not one of those dudes who sits around smelling his drinks and deducting points. It's a beer not a flower, you meant to drink it not smell it. If it tastes great it can smell like a hobo for all I care.

The flavours are dominated by malt and chocolate, with some feint earthy coffee tones. The feel is much lighter than your average porter, with slightly more carbonation. It loses out here I think, because if you're going to do a porter... do a porter. The flavours are strong, but not robust enough. The feel is far from bricks and mortar and more like a house of cards.

It's an ok beer. If you want an easy to drink, reasonably priced Porter then this would probably fit the bill. Still though, if this is your battlefield I'm guessing you'd rather roll in a tank than a jeep.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment