Monday 18 July 2011

Anchor Steam Beer




This little ditty is from San Francisco. It claims to be 'virtually handmade' on the label. I'm always sceptical of terms like 'virtually' being thrown around by Americans. Diet soda is 'virtually' a healthy option! (apart from cancer causing chemical additives). Pharmaceutical drugs are virtually harmless and free of side effects(apart from suicidal thoughts), feed them to your children!

Enough of the pessimist in me, let's get to the beer. It's a dark amber ale with a creamy head and some good depth, but the flavour isn't overbearing. It's not a bad introduction to darker beers if you haven't ventured there before. I'd say on the overall scale, it's a soft/lighter dark ale, but I don't mind it. It's fairly well balanced.

It would probly sit around an 8, but just because it lacks that little bit of oomph I'll slightly scale it back a bit. I'd recommend it though, so the next time you're driving your Prius around the bay to the local hipster bar, skip the organic free range grain fed salad and rock filtered mineral water and try one of these.

7.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment