Sunday 31 July 2011

Redoak Organic Pale Ale




According to the bottle Redoak is Australia's Most Awarded Brewery'. I've heard that claim before... so I'm not really giving it much weight to be honest. This beer casually positions itself as an 'Organic Pale Ale'. I've had many pale ales, and many labelled as organic, so had a fair idea in mind as to what I was about to experience.

So do you as well most likely. But just for a minute, take that assumption you have and burn it.

Because whatever you are imagining is far from what you get with this beer.

It took me till about half way through the bottle to get my head around what is going on here. It has a very fruity, hoppy burst that is taken over but what tastes a bit like grapes, followed by a refreshing but bitter aftertaste. What should be noted is that it is not a dry bitterness, the flavour is still popping well into this phase.

This is very difficult to rate because I can't see myself drinking a few in succession, as it's... not a 'beery' type of beer, it is very boutique. It's daring, unique and refreshing... but left field from what I'd generally look for in a brew.

A solid 7 is probably fair.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment