Thursday 11 August 2011

Chimay Red




All of the trappist monk beers are very complex affairs. As would be cheating on your wife with her sister. Who is her Siamese twin.

As soon as this touches your lips there is sweetness, spices, hops, malts... a whole world of flavour going on. It's a melting pot. It's kind of like one of those spicy fruit sweet biscuits your grandmother used to always have... but on a whole new level of awesome.

The elevated alcohol just adds some heaviness to the taste which is welcome, and it sits very nicely on the mouth. I wouldn't drink a bunch of them, it's an experience beer not a session beer.

It's not even in the ballpark of my normal tastes, but it's so well executed that I don't even care. It even looks unique... a deep browny, reddy, malty coloured beer made up of trillions of flavour packed granules, floating amongst the holy water. All marching towards the mecca that is my stomach.

Sometimes I think being a monk would be boring... but if it involves drinking this beer and kung fu, I'm in.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment