Tuesday 16 August 2011

Mildura Brewery Mallee Bull Heavy




When I saw this beer at the store and it was labelled 'Heavy', I kind of assumed it to be an agro IPA or some other evil elevated alcohol contraption.

Now that the bottle is closer to my face where I can inspect further, it is in fact an Amber. The brewers claim it to be 'unique' and best enjoyed in a loud setting with good food. Really I think all drinks are best enjoyed in a loud setting with good food, but nevertheless it was time to knuckle down on this copper coloured ale.

It's definitely one of those chocolate/toffee style ales, but it's not as distinct as some others I've had. The finish for me is where it falters a little bit. There is a sting at the end where the carbonation fires up and interrupts the flavour. The aftertaste is like a piece of bitter dark chocolate, but before you get it you're tongue is zapped. This attribute works for me on some floral, citrusy Pales but rarely Ambers.

It would be a good food beer, and would probably perform well with a nice steak but alas for me this was not on the menu tonight. Good effort, but had many better.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment