Wednesday 3 August 2011

Monteith's Celtic Red Beer



Given some of the impressive 'red' beers I've had recently, I was expecting this to be amongst the contenders as Monteith's have some pretty good beers in their ranks, in particular the dark winter ale.

I can't imagine that your typical Irishmen would be too impressed with this number though. It claims to be smokey with a 'smooth chocolate maltiness' that will 'invigorate'. There is little smoke, and the 'chocolate' element is akin to an easter egg hunt... as you really have to dig and find it as opposed to it coming to you on it's own. I am as invigorated as I was during statistics lectures.

So all in all... it's a letdown. I had to sit here and concentrate to try and pick up on what the brewers claimed to be trying to achieve here. I'm somewhat of a novice with red beers, but this really seems to have missed the mark.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment