Saturday 10 September 2011

Anchor Summer Beer




This is the perfect summer beer to drink when you are going on a long awaited vacation...

...from flavour.

Upfront this beer is a bit sour. The body is light and watery with a wheat beer feel that is followed by spicy stinging carbonation. Everything is very soft though, apart from the carbonation. That's really the biggest element to this beer. And when that is the strongest tool in your kit... you're unlikely to get the job done.

It is what it is I guess. It's an American Wheat beer, this being one of, it not my first. I compare it to American TV executives taking a European idea, and then watering it down. Thank god they didn't also add more cheese in this instance.

To be fair it is refreshing, and certainly doesn't taste bad. The carbonation bites like a crazed pitbull though, and the lingering effect is like sticking a 9 volt battery on your tongue.

I'm sure that on a 35 degree day in California this might feel like heaven in a bottle, but I have to rate each experience as it comes. A good beer, but I would rather one I could dive into head first without the lack of depth leaving me a paraplegic.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment