Thursday 8 September 2011

Red Duck Pale Rider




The American Pale Ale is a beer that really grew on me over this challenge. Before I began this I always knew I liked Pale Ales, but wasn't really up on the variations. 'Pale' and 'Amber' were the main two I'd played around with. Within the 'Pale' moniker though, you will discover many sub-categories with some subtle, and at times extreme differences.

The title of the beer I assume is a throwback to the Clint Eastwood western, whose title of the same name referenced the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The rider on a pale horse, the pale rider, was Death.

This ale might not be full of life, but it is far from six feet under. It has that sweet toffe/malt flavour to it, and then a strong lingering bitter aftertaste. The initial flavour is a bit subtle compared to the best APA's I have to admit.

The finish is really long. Just when you keep thinking it's going to wrap itself up, it keeps on going. Kind of like that second Transformers movie, but without the bad taste in your mouth.

Still, if this is what is on tap beyond the grave, I'm not going to be upset about it.


7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment