Sunday 11 September 2011

Brew Dog 5 AM Saint Amber Ale




So, Brew Dog. We finally meet.

I have heard whispers of these guys making some pretty top notch craft beers but was yet to come across one admittedly. When I spotted this at my local bottleo I
grabbed it as they'd never stocked it before.

The label has a long speel about how they are beer 'punks' trying to drag everyone away from the mainstream corporate breweries. Sounds like a cause worth fighting for.

The experience of drinking this beer resembles skiing down a back country run, through a pine forest, and collecting every branch with your face on the way. There is an overpowering herby/piney flavour sitting on top of the hops. You do get whiffs of pine in some powerfully hopped beers, but this is some next level shit. You actually have to dig to find the caramel/malt base that is usually iconic of an amber ale.

Because of this, what you get is more of a soft IPA than an amber ale. I feel like there was a skirmish between an IPA and an Amber Ale inside the bottle and the IPA ended up on top.

Very interesting. When you read 'amber ale' on a bottle you don't expect to feel like somebody shoved a handful of car air fresheners in your mouth. Everything manages to meld enough to create a good, unique beer though. I wish I could have another one to be honest, as I am struggling to garner whether I would get sick of this beer or it would continue to grow on me.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment