Thursday 1 September 2011

Sierra Nevada Porter




Order has it's chaos. Superman has his kryptonite. The Richmond Football Club has it's september.

We all have chinks in our armour somewhere. I will readily admit that Porters and Stouts are an area where I have seldom ventured. It's one of those once bitten twice shy things. As a youngster, when it was more about forcing beers down for the after effect rather than enjoyment, I really didn't like my first Porter or Stout.

But there comes a time when we must move past these prior experiences and launch head first into a new world. And what a better way to do it than with a Sierra Nevada.

Bare with me, as I'm new to this, but the whole feel to this beer is 'burnt' if that makes sense. The malts taste charred, the toffee/cocoa seared... and the hops are also well cooked to form a bitter finish. But like a scorched snag on a hot summers day, it still feels right.

Sierra Nevada beers all have this amazing refreshing feel to them, as if they were brewed with water melted from an untouched Antarctic Iceberg that was then blessed by a monk.

Good beer. Deep, purposeful, refreshing.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment