Monday 19 September 2011

Lagunitas Maximus





As I peeled the bottle cap off this beer I swear I heard a faint voice say "Upon my signal... unleash hell!"

Mondays will do that to you I suppose.

This epic IPA from Lagunitas is worthy of such a gladiatorial mantle. The body turns from malty, to sweet, before a barrage of hops scatters across your taste buds like a volley of flaming arrows. I wasn't prepared for it as I assumed this just to be an IPA, whereas it is in fact a double. Behemoth levels of hops up in here.

I love the finish, and the bite of the 8.2% alcohol. Where this beer falls on it's own sword however, is with the main body. The fruity/sweet component is almost 'tropical'. Remember those Tropical Primas from when you were a kid? They might have held some good currency in the playground but it doesn't exactly translate to a heavy handed beer.

Envision Maximus fighting to the death in front of tens of thousands of rabid Romans in the center of the Colosseum... wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

It's just not the same is it?

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment