Friday 30 September 2011

Blue Moon Belgian White




This very crafty looking beer is actually owned/brewed by Coors. Being detached from the US beer market though, I don't really know how many small breweries are owned by the big boys, so maybe it's nothing to be concerned about. It will however take a lot to win me over, as I only indulge in a wheat beer once in a blue moon.

See what I did there?

After pouring the beer, I was instantly wowed. It's as cloudy as the Scottish moors, and pours a deep orangey/apricot colour. You cannot see a single thing through the glass. The mouth feel is light, but chunkier than your normal wheat.

So far I'm on side.

The flavour is citrus based as you would expect, but to the extent where you could be mistaken for taking a swig of orange juice. It's a breakfast beer! It is over-sweet though, almost sickly sweet. Maybe it wouldn't irk me so much on a hot summers day, but tonight is wet and windy and the heater is on indoors.

The dealer has all the cards in the deck. Crisp wheat, sweet malts, citrus, spice, light hops. I just wish they hadn't borrowed an amp from Spinal Tap to tune the sweetness, because the volume is firmly set on 11. It's too much for me, but apart from that we have here a very solid wheat beer.

If you're a Belgian Witbier head, your life would be lacking without trying this I will say.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment