Monday 26 September 2011

Big Sky Brewery Summer Honey




Montana's Big Sky Brewery didn't blow me away with their Brown Ale, and it's probably safe to say I wasn't expecting a riveting result with this 'seasonal' honey beer.

Interestingly this honey beer has a bit more fire in the belly than most. It has a spicy streak through the middle of it, and while not overbearing at all, did catch me off guard. Probably similar to a bear scooping a handful of honey out of a hive and copping a bee in his gob for his efforts. It's an individual amongst the honey beer mob that's for sure.

The Summer Honey is probably hopped a bit more that I would have expected as well. Despite the somewhat conflicting elements of piney hops, honey and spices... the balance does hold together well enough. Perhaps one of the rare menage a trois that doesn't leave everyone feeling awkward afterwards.

Still though... it's just flogging a dead horse with me. My world has never been set on fire by a honey beer, and it's unlikely to ever be. If you're an aficionado, try it, if not then don't lose any sleep.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment