Friday 9 September 2011

Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter





Black Butte Porter. Not the most attractive of titles.

This is a beer that wouldn't be out of place on Willy Wonka's factory floor. It's one of the strongest 'Chocolate' flavoured beers I've ever drunk. There was one I had from the Whistler Brewing Co many years ago, the Winter Ale I think, which this reminded me of.

There is deep burnt toffee, the mandatory malts and a bitter dark chocolate punch. While these can be common in Porters, the chocolate is big here. It really is a case of the back seat driver grabbing on to the wheel. Normally a background act, here it is the star of the show.

There's a bit of coffee in there aswell, which I'm not huge on but really I'm going to just ignore it because this is a class beer. You really do need to just sit down and 'drink' these beers. And by that I mean, don't force it down at the pub after work, don't swill it inbetween a conversation, don't wash your dinner down with it. This is like a meal in itself.

If drinking a Stella at the bar is shuffling around to generic house music, this is lying on the recliner with Pink Floyd on some Sennheisers.

It's not refreshing enough to be a legendary beer for me personally, but if you like your Porters I can guarantee this one.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment