Saturday 17 September 2011

James Squire Pale Ale




Do my eyes deceive me? I thought I had gone through all of the ales on James Squires' menu, but before me stands a Pale Ale titled "One Fifty Lashes". I am fairly sure I have never tried this. Today is a good day.

Squires' always seem to find a great balance. Simple, but effective. They don't try and fill you up to your eyeballs with hops, or add cranberries or some bizarre
ingredient to be 'different'. They just make moderately flavoured, balanced, and refreshing beers.

This is really no different in that regard. It is an ultra thirst quenching Aussie ale. The refreshment levels are like diving head first into a vat full of KFC
refresher towels. Even if you aren't thirsty, this beer will make you thirsty and then quench that thirst all in the same go.

It's basically malt and hops. No nonsense. The aftertaste is a bit tame for a Pale Ale, perhaps in a bid to appeal to the wider market. It isn't catastrophic, but it does feel like something is missing.

This all sounds very positive so far, but I am actually disappointed in this beer. It is probably the weakest of the Squire ales, and the most 'generic' tasting.

It is a bit of a worrying turn of events really. It is still a good beer, but it has more of a waif-like body than I was hoping fpr. Stop worrying about the lowest common denominator and be yourself James.


6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment